One of the accused abductors of 13 women, James Bwalya, has been given three more weeks of bed rest after the medical expert reviewed him not fit to stand trial.
This is a in a matter where Bwalya and Mathews Sikaonga, aged 22, are alleged to have abducted Pamela Chisumpa and 12 other women in Lusaka last year.
Read more: Suspected kidnapper, Bwalya, is of sound mind to stand trial —Judge rules
The two men are facing 54 counts, among them is rape, assult, aggravated robbery and abduction.
When the matter came up for possible plea on Monday, Lusaka High Court Judge, Charles Kafunda, said according to a medical report on record, Bwalya who sustained a spine injury after allegedly attempting to escape from prison, was still physically unfit to stand trial.
According to Consultant Orthopedic and spine surgeon from the University Teaching Hospitals-Adult, Dr Brian Sonkwe, Bwalya’s spine condition had remained the same from two weeks ago.
“The injury is now six weeks old. The patient was advised bed rest for two weeks at the last review. He reports subsidiary pain at site of injury, constipation and that he had not been on bed rest as indicated,” read the report.
Dr Sonkwe said according to an X-ray, there was an increase in the deformity by two degrees.
“However, there is increase zone of tenderness T10-LSS1, initially was localised at T12 and L3. The neurology has remained the same as two weeks ago,” he said.
The medical expert thus recommend three more weeks of bed rest which include meals in bed.
Dr Sonkwe also recommended oral medication and supplements,and that Bwalya wears a brace or corset during transfers.
Following the new medical report, Judge Kafunda adjourned the matter to May 31, 2023 but order for the accused to be reviewed two days before.
WARNING! All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR.