ZCCM-IH will soon begin constructing access roads at the Kikonge mine site in Zambia’s Mufumbwe District, a move the government says is critical to its plan to formalise artisanal and small-scale mining and address growing security concerns linked to illegal mining activities.
Mines and Minerals Development Minister, Paul Kabuswe, said in a statement on Thursday that the project reflected government’s commitment to restoring order and establishing regulated mining operations.
He said illegal mining in the area had contributed to the rise of small militia groups, posing what he described as a serious national security risk.
“Illegal mining is a major security threat. The rise of militia groups in Mufumbwe was deeply concerning. Government is resolute in restoring order and ensuring that all mining is conducted within the law,” he said.
Read more: Government lifts Mopani mine suspension after safety upgrade
Kabuswe said formalising artisanal miners remained the most sustainable solution to ending unlawful operations.
He pointed to Ghana, where he said government reforms — including the creation of the Ghana Gold Board — helped increase gold revenue from USD 160 million to about USD 11 billion.
He said the government had so far trained 470 mining cooperatives in Mufumbwe and Mpika, representing roughly 47,000 individuals, in responsible mining practices, environmental protection, safety standards and value addition.
Kabuswe said the government remained committed to safeguarding lives, protecting the environment and ensuring that mineral resources were used for the benefit of the country.
WARNING! All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR.











Comments