The government has alleged sabotage in the recent fire that destroyed a curio centre at Kitwe’s biggest trading market, as victims receive over K880,000.
This is in response to the recent fire that destroyed a curio centre at Kitwe’s biggest trading centre.
On Wednesday, a team of government officials led by Copperbelt Minister, Elisha Matambo, and Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit (DMMU) national coordinator, Gabriel Pollen, visited the inferno site and handed over assorted foodstuffs.
According to Pollen, about 176 traders lost goods worth millions of Kwacha when fire burnt part of the market last week.
Speaking during the handover, Matambo, said investigations into the cause of the fire revealed that the fire incident was planned by unknown people.
“One of the strategic cameras used to help carryout investigations to collect information had been tampered with as well as the behaviour to stone the fire engine was suspicious,” he said.
Meanwhile, Pollen said the government was saddened with the disaster.
He said all the 176 victims who had been verified to have lost their goods have received K5, 000 each as start-up capital and assorted food stuff.
Matambo said the government suspected sabotage in the manner in which the incident happened and urged Police to thoroughly investigate the matter to the latter.
He explained that the ongoing investigations show that the fire was planned, and it was suspicious because the camera which security operatives wanted to check through had been tampered with.
Matambo also added that the pelting of the fire engine which went to quench the fire was also suspicious.
Affected traders’ representative, Kapengwe Mutale, was full of praise to the government for the support.
WARNING! All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR