Power and Politics

NRPUP spokesperson, Chisanga’s family seeks High Court intervention over alleged detention

0

The family of National Reconciliation Party for Unity and Prosperity (NRPUP) presidential spokesperson, George Chisanga, has asked the High Court to intervene after he allegedly went missing before the family discovered he was being held at Chelstone Police Station.

Chisanga’s brother, Emmanuel Chisanga, said the family lost contact with George on August 14 and was unable to establish his whereabouts despite making enquiries at several police stations and health facilities in Lusaka.

According to an affidavit filed in the High Court, George had been driving a motor vehicle before he went missing, and the vehicle was later found at the residence of NRPUP presidential candidate Brian Mundubile, a former Mporokoso lawmaker.

Emmanuel said the family eventually established at about 22:00 hours on August 15 that George was being detained at Chelstone Police Station.

Read more: TONSE-Pamodzi Alliance heads to Constitutional Court to challenge Hichilema victory, admits panic among members (Video)

He said police did not inform the family that George had been arrested or detained, nor did they provide reasons for his detention.

Emmanuel further stated that he was unaware of George having been charged with any criminal offence or brought before a court since his detention.

The family has now applied to the High Court for leave to commence habeas corpus proceedings, seeking an order requiring authorities to produce George before court and justify the legality of his detention.

The application, filed on August 17, names the Attorney General, Inspector General of Police, officer-in-charge of Chelstone Police Station and any person holding George as respondents.

Emmanuel said George was unable to swear an affidavit in support of the application because he remains in detention.

He argued that every additional period George remained in custody without being brought before court constitutes a continuing interference with his liberty.

The family is asking the High Court to hear the matter during the current Michaelmas vacation, which runs from August 8 to September 6, arguing that the circumstances require urgent judicial intervention.

WARNING! All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR.

‘Public office is competition to serve,’ Hichilema says in acceptance speech after defeating Mundubile

Previous article

Mundubile rejects Hichilema electoral victory, demands Kafwaya’s whereabouts

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eighteen − 13 =