Editor's PickMining & Energy

12 days after being trapped underground, five Mumbwa miners retrieved alive

0

Five small-scale miners who had been trapped underground for 12 days at Matala Gold Mine in Mumbwa District have been successfully rescued alive, the Ministry of Mines and Minerals Development has announced.

According to a statement issued by the ministry on Wednesday, the rescued miners are currently receiving medical treatment at Mumbwa District Hospital following the successful operation.

Government expressed relief over the development and joined the nation in giving thanks for the miners’ survival after nearly two weeks underground.

Ministry of Mines and Minerals Development Permanent Secretary, Hapenga Kabeta, disclosed that preliminary assessments suggest that three more miners may still be trapped underground.

Read more: Hichilema commissions CEC’s 126-MW solar plant, urges shift in energy project mindset

Kabeta said rescue teams have remained on site and operations were continuing to ensure that all affected individuals are accounted for.

Government commended emergency responders, local authorities and other stakeholders involved in the rescue mission for their dedication and commitment throughout the difficult operation.

The ministry also reiterated the importance of conducting mining activities in a safe, formal and environmentally responsible manner.

It stressed that compliance with mining regulations and safety standards remained critical in protecting lives, communities and the environment.

The ministry further urged small-scale miners to prioritise safety, secure the necessary legal authorisations and operate within regulated frameworks in order to prevent avoidable accidents.

The government said it would continue monitoring the situation closely and provide further updates as rescue efforts continued for the remaining miners.

WARNING! All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR.

President Hichilema orders arrests after attack on Garry Nkombo in Mazabuka (Video)

Previous article

Zambian currency holds ground in calm trading session

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

19 + 16 =