A 46-year-old woman from Kafubu Block Farms in Luanshya District has been admitted and isolated with symptoms consistent with a haemorrhagic illness, the Ministry of Health has announced.
Minstry of Health Permanent Secretary Technical Services, Dr. Kennedy Lishimpi, said the patient was admitted to Roan Antelope Referral Hospital on May 13, 2026 after presenting with severe nosebleeds, vomiting of blood, and profound weakness.
In a statement issued in Lusaka on Monday, Lishimpi said the case triggered a localized Viral Haemorrhagic Fever alert in the Copperbelt Province, with Rapid Response Teams immediately deployed.
Lishimpi confirmed the patient remained clinically stable and was receiving supportive treatment under strict infection prevention and biosecurity protocols.
“On 13 May 2026, a 46-year-old female patient from Kafubu Block Farms in Luanshya District, Copperbelt Province, was admitted and isolated at Roan Antelope Referral Hospital after presenting with symptoms consistent with a haemorrhagic illness, including severe nosebleeds, vomiting of blood, and profound weakness,” he said.
Lishimpi said rapid Response Teams had identified and placed 70 contacts in Luanshya and Ndola under daily 21-day symptom and temperature monitoring.
He said no secondary symptoms have been reported among the identified contacts so far.
Preliminary Rapid Diagnostic Test results on the patient’s blood sample returned negative for both Ebola virus disease and Marburg virus disease.
“The Ministry of Health is pleased to announce that preliminary Rapid Diagnostic Test (RDT) results conducted on the patient’s blood sample have returned negative for both Ebola virus disease and Marburg virus disease,” Lishimpi said.
He said the sample was undergoing confirmatory PCR and antigen testing at the University Teaching Hospital Biosafety Level 3 Laboratory in Lusaka, with final results expected within 24 hours.
Lishimpi stressed that despite the reassuring preliminary results, the national response remained active pending definitive laboratory confirmation.
“While these preliminary findings are reassuring and significantly reduce the immediate level of concern, the Ministry wishes to emphasize that Rapid Diagnostic Tests may have reduced sensitivity during the early stages of infection,” he said.

Read More: WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo a global health emergency
Lishimpi also provided an update on the global situation, noting that the WHO declared the multi-country Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on May 17, 2026.
He noted that the DRC had recorded 8 laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases, and 80 deaths in Ituri Province, with reported spread to Kinshasa, while Uganda confirmed two cases in Kampala linked to cross-border transmission.
Lishimpi said national preparedness activities had been intensified, with the National Public Health Emergency Operations Centre activated at Grade 2 alert status and six priority provinces placed under heightened surveillance.
“The Ministry of Health urges all citizens to remain calm, vigilant, and avoid panic, as the national public health system remains fully alert and actively engaged in managing the situation,” he said.
Lishimpi stated that borders remained open in line with International Health Regulations, with enhanced screening and PPE distribution at key points of entry including Kasumbalesa and Nakonde.
“Members of the public are advised to maintain hygiene, avoid contact with body fluids from unexplained illnesses, and report symptoms to the nearest health facility or the toll-free line 909,” he said.
WARNING! All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR.












Comments