Power and Politics

Wave of UPND withdrawals reshapes candidate line-up ahead of 2026 polls

0

A wave of withdrawals from re-contesting various positions has rocked Zambia’s ruling United Party for National Development ahead of the 2026 general elections.

Several former senior government officials and lawmakers have announced they will not seek re-election, reshaping the party’s candidate line-up in multiple constituencies.

The list includes former Lusaka Central lawmaker Mulambo Haimbe, former Kafue Lawmaker Mirriam Chinya, and ex-Livingstone lawmaker Rodney Sikumba.

Also stepping aside are former Siavonga Member of Parliament Douglas Syakalima, former Lusaka Deputy Mayor Ketty Nanyangwe, former Livingstone Mayor Constance Muleabai, and Dr. Elijah Muchima for Ikelengi Constituency.

Muchima who was the first to announce his decision said that after wide consultations, he had decided to step aside from contesting the Ikeleng’i parliamentary seat.

‎He said he remains fully committed to supporting the leadership of President Hakainde Hichilema and the ruling party ahead of the August 13, 2026 General Elections.

‎“The nation at large has shown magnanimity and unwavering support to me and the party. Through consultations, it has been necessary and prudent to reconsider the matter. I have since urged my supporters to give a massive vote to President HH,” Muchima said.

Similary, Sikumba said the people of Livingstone had entrusted him with the responsibility of serving as their Member of Parliament five years ago, describing the opportunity as an honour he would always cherish.

He stated that during his tenure, he worked closely with various government departments to improve the wellbeing of the people and advance development aspirations in the constituency.

“Several milestones have been achieved during the five-year period, although some projects and initiatives were still ongoing,” Sikumba said.

He thanked the people of Livingstone and all those who supported him throughout his time in office, saying their trust, encouragement and partnership had been invaluable.

Sikumba further disclosed that he had decided not to seek re-election as Member of Parliament for Livingstone Central Constituency as he fully endorsed President Hakainde Hichilema’s candidature.

Former Siavonga MP Syakalima said he would not re-contest the Chirundu parliamentary seat in the August 13 general elections, following advice from his wife and family but instead would focus on campaigning nationwide for President Hakainde Hichilema.

“I agreed to do what family asked me to because it is unusual for family to make such decisions. I am grateful to my family for this advice,” he said.

Former Foriegn Affairs and International Cooperation Minister Haimbe also said he would not seek re-election in the forthcoming elections, pulling out of the race for the United Party for National Development ticket.

Haimbe announced the decision in a social media statement and later addressed supporters in Kabulonga Ward 19, where he confirmed he was stepping aside and endorsed fellow contender Msaiwale Mlewa.

“This afternoon we are here to announce that we have sat together. We have considered the interests of the people of Lusaka Central and, of course, our own interests,” Haimbe said. “I have decided, after consultation widely, to withdraw from the Lusaka Central race.”

He said the decision was also influenced by a shift toward broader political responsibilities.

“I would like to concentrate, amongst other things, on the presidential race given the amount of work that needs to be done in the district,” he said.

Read More: ECZ declares Chanda unqualified to contest presidential election over allegations of bankruptcy, defective certificate

Haimbe urged supporters to view the contest as focused on achieving the best outcome for the constituency.

On the same day Mirriam Chonya announced her withdrawal from the race to contest the Kafue East parliamentary seat in the 2026 General Elections.

Chonya said her decision was aimed at allowing her to focus on supporting President Hakainde Hichilema’s re-election campaign and contributing to the government’s broader development agenda.

“I have opted to focus on supporting the Presidential campaign and contribute to government’s broad agenda of inclusive development and respect for the rule of law,” she said.

The former lawmaker further thanked the people of Kafue for the support they gave her during her ten-year tenure, describing the opportunity to serve them as one of the greatest honours of her life.

She said throughout her time in office, she had worked with integrity, dedication and selflessness while prioritising the welfare of the people of Kafue.

“As I step aside to pave way for others, I remain proud of what we have accomplished together and hopeful for an even brighter future for Kafue,” Chonya stated.

Former Lusaka Mayor Nanynagwe joined the cue in announcing her decision not to contest for the Lusaka Mayor position together with her Livingstone counterpart Constance Muleabai.

“This decision has not been easy, considering the passion, encouragement and overwhelming support I have continued to receive from many citizens who believed in my aspiration to continue serving the people of Lusaka in a greater capacity. I remain deeply humbled by your confidence and trust in me,” Nanyangwe said.

She stated that her decision should not be interpreted as a departure from active politics or from the continued service to the people but rather, but that it reflected her commitment to the greater cause of unity, strategic alignment and strengthening the collective vision under the leadership of President Hakainde Hichilema and the UPND Party.

The UPND leadership has maintained that internal consultations will guide all candidate adoption decisions ahead of the polls.

WARNINGAll rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR.

DPP issues 48 hours ultimatum, demands ECZ publish asset declaration papers of presidential candidates

Previous article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

6 + 5 =