Former Mansa Central lawmaker, Dr. Chitalu Chilufya has formally announced his unconditional withdrawal as a Presidential aspirant for the Patriotic Front Party in the upcoming August 2026 general elections.
Chilufya said the decision followed the formal notification delivered on May 20, 2026 to the Chief Electoral Officer of the Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ), Brown Kasaro.
He made the announcement in a press statement issued in Lusaka on Wednesday in which he said the notification effectively nullified the introduction letter submitted to the Commission on 29th April 2026.
“After an exhaustive evaluation of the current legal and political climate, I have resolved to withdraw from the presidential race under the Patriotic Front banner,” he said.
Read More: Mubanga dumps presidential bid
Chilufya described the decision as difficult but necessary and that the move was a direct consequence of the ongoing legal challenges facing the Patriotic Front.
He added that the challenges have been further complicated by the recently enacted Electoral Process (Amendment) Act, No. 12 of 2026.
“This difficult but necessary decision is a direct consequence of the ongoing legal challenges facing the Patriotic Front, which have been further complicated by the recently enacted Electoral Process (Amendment) Act, No. 12 of 2026,” he said.
Chilufya expressed gratitude to the party leadership, structures and ordinary citizens who supported him during the journey, srtating that their unwavering support had been critical throughout the process.
Chilufya concluded by affirming his continued commitment to serving the nation outside the presidential race.
“I remain committed to serving the nation in other capacities outside the presidential race,” he said.
WARNING! All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR.












Comments