Fire ravages Chamboli market in Kitwe, shops destroyed


Ten shops have been destroyed by fire at Chamboli Market in Kitwe.

Kitwe City Council Public Relations Manager, Mwaka Nakweti, reported that the blaze caused significant property damage.

In a statement issued in Kitwe on Wednesday, Nakweti mentioned that the affected shops included grocery stores, a salon, a barbershop, battery charging services and storage facilities.

Read More: Nakadoli gutted by fire, goods worth millions of Kwacha destroyed

“Preliminary investigations suggest that the fire is suspected to have originated from a battery charging shop where it is suspected that the owners may have failed to safeguard their appliances,” Nakweti alleged.

She added that the Kitwe Fire Brigade extinguished the fire before it could spread to nearby shops.

“Fortunately, no fatalities were recorded in the incident,” she mentioned.

The council advised the public to exercise caution by not leaving appliances and sockets on, especially during the current load-shedding period.

“Additionally, the public is urged to extinguish candles and braziers before going to bed to prevent fire accidents,” she pointed out.

WARNING! All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR.

Govt calls for more donors to address possible hunger crisis

Previous article

Tourism council calls for balance between security, tourism for sustainable development

Next article

You may also like


Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Metro