Metro

MRI scan shows alleged juvenile is an adult as ‘disappearing private parts’ case takes new twist

0

A case that began with sensational allegations of mysteriously ‘disappearing’ private parts has taken another turn after an MRI scan revealed that one of the accused, initially presented as a juvenile, was in fact an adult.

The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court heard that Alfred Mwenge, previously said to be 18, will now stand trial as an adult after medical examinations showed he was above the age of 18.

Mwenge appeared before Magistrate Martin Namushi alongside co-accused Justine Banda, 31, of Garden House, and Benny Kasongo, 21, of New Kanyama.

The age dispute arose when Mwenge failed to produce documentation proving he was a minor, prompting the court to order an MRI-based age assessment.

Read more: Puzzling report of ‘missing’ private parts resurfaces in Court as three youths accused of fabricating claims

When the matter returned for a report, State prosecutors informed the court that the medical findings confirmed Mwenge was not a juvenile.

Defence lawyer Bervin Mengo, who represents Mwenge, was present as the court formally acknowledged the report.

Following the confirmation, Magistrate Namushi ruled that Mwenge would be treated as an adult going forward and directed that all three accused persons take plea.

Banda, Mwenge and Kasongo each denied the allegations when the charges were read out.

“I am not guilty,” Mwenge said, with Banda and Kasongo also entering similar pleas. The court recorded pleas of not guilty for all three.

Trial is scheduled to begin on June 24, 2026.

According to the indictment, the three are charged with giving false information to a public officer, an offence under Section 125 of the Penal Code, Chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.

The charges stem from reports made at Lusaka Central Police Station alleging that private parts had disappeared.

Banda is accused of falsely telling Detective Inspector Kazembe that his penis and testicles had been stolen, information prosecutors say he knew to be untrue.

Mwenge and Kasongo are accused of jointly acting with others to make similar false reports.

WARNING! All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express permission from ZAMBIA MONITOR.

Police arrest five over alleged assault on former MP, Nkombo, in Mazabuka

Previous article

Zambia pledges $12 million for reproductive health supplies, last-mile distribution

Next article

You may also like

Comments

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

15 − thirteen =

More in Metro